Pages

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Happy Birthday to My Mama!!!

I love love LOVE this time of year.  It's officially Summer everything is green and in bloom, and I begin my Summer every year by celebrating my favorite person in the world...my mama.   Born and raised a California girl, my mom always has an insightful and balanced way of thinking. 

She is the first person who introduced fashion to me.  I remember being very young and loving to hear her stories about when she was younger; her feathered-hair-surfer girl days on Daytona Beach, a "Chola" phase in her teen years during the 70's, her days of club hopping and being a  'band-aid' for punk rock bands that played with the likes of The Cramps, Red Hot Chili Peppers and X, and finally when I came around, she had just earned her hair license from Vidal Sassoon and worked in a very successful salon in LA proper-the smell of salons is still my favorite smell.  She is a true style chameleon. 

She has such passion for everything in life!  She loves food, music, movies, fashion, everything - she has her own likes and dislikes which create such a signature style. She taught me how to be proud of who I am, who NOT to let men hurt me and to be aware of their ways, she taught me how to take care of myself, and most of all how to live.  My mom survived stage 3 breast cancer last year, she was so strong and still is!  Not too long ago, we sat down and small-talked, where she said that during the whole time she was sick she just kept thinking to herself "this isn't it."  Her positive outlook, her will to survive, are what I aspire to be - she is my icon...
                             Here are some things that have remind me of my mom and her style....

Madonna - Just Like a Prayer:  Madonna is the first music I can remember.  My mom had me hooked on "Holiday" and "Border line" at age 3!! There is also this story I remember about her winning some look-a-like contest because she looked like Madonna in 'Like a Prayer.' 
My Mom loves fashion from the 1920's through the 40's - but cannot stand the 50's. I grew up watching and loving old movies with her like Mildred Pierce starring Joan Crawford.
                                       
Coffee is a part of my mom's everyday life - at one point she even made a career out of it! Now I'm an addict!
We are Mexican and Proud of it!  My mom always find beauty in everything and she taught me how to love my culture; my mom would like this mural, it looks like something you would see on a random wall near Dodger Stadium.
Mobster movies are a favorite in the family.  My mom has a deep appreciation for Family style Italian food, Rat Pack-esque music, and Godfather-style attitudes. Goodfellas is an all time favorite.

What girl (in my age bracket) and her mom DIDN'T watch Sex & The City together....I know I did! Whenever my mom and I talk about my love life, somehow, some way, Sex & The City gets referenced!
My Mom read Where the Wild Things Are to me almost every night!  I think Max was possibly my first love interest.
Surfing or anything to do with California culture, will always remind me of my mama!
I could go on forever.  My mom has had a HUGE impact on my life and it's only suitable that her birthday is as soon as Summer starts, it's like Season of Mama.  I love you and Happy Birthday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...