Pages

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Truth Behind the Black

'All Dressed in Black' refers to not only a part of a favorite childhood hand game of mine, but also my everyday wardrobe. My friends and family have all taken notice to my obsession with the color black.  Typically people see ABW (All Black Wear) and think gothic depressed problem child from hell, but I like to think that ABW can be timeless and very chic.  The French do it all the time!!So why can't ABW be chic, feminine and very presentable?


Holly Golightly
My first inspiration with ABW was the great Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's as Holly Golightly....le sigh! It was so individual, so different yet so simple.  I was in love with black!

Holly Golightly was only the beginning of the love affair.  Coincidentally, I got a job as a Gallery Attendant at a museum about two years ago - think docent with a walkie-talkie- where the dress code is simply ABW or at least a black top.  Some hate this dress code but I don't mind it at all as long as we have the freedom to wear whatever as long as it is black and within professional dress code!  So there it is! I wear ABW 5 days out of the week, attend class twice a week, and see my friends at least once a week most of the time I am wearing black! And I don't mind it one bit...

I kinda like to play with it, I do a lot of the Model Off Duty-thing.  It's comfortable and allows me to layer - layering is very important where I'm from because the weather is so unpredictable! Here are some outfits I would love to rock at work:
Victoria Beckham
Girl in Paris
Natasha Poly
Freja Beha Erikson
Girl in Milan
Lily Donaldsom
Daria Werbowy
I just can't seem to incorporate colors into my wardrobe.  Everything I own in in the black, grey, white family and though I do my best to keep it clean and polished and as un-gothy as possible, I still question whether or not people see me as the 'Sad Girl in Black?' 

I would like to know "My Color," you know how people say "Oh blue is SO your color!" Well, I want a color dammit!!  I just don't know what!  I'm on a mission....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...